Monday, July 9, 2012

Speaker Phone


Most days I desperately hope the person who invented speakerphone is leading a miserable, lonely, pain-filled existence.  They deserve it for inflicting the blight of the speaker phone on cubicle dwellers everywhere.

It’s beyond annoying when someone else is trying to listen to their own voicemail messages, but can’t hear them over yours on speakerphone.  Even worse, it’s extremely awkward when someone else is on the phone with a client (you know, actually working) and your extremely personal voicemail messages are blasting into the conversation.

I’m sure someone somewhere thinks that speakerphone is wonderful thing.  It isn’t.  It’s annoying to your fellow cubicle dwellers, especially when you use it every time you check your voicemail.  You really can’t hold the receiver and write down your messages at the same time?  You have serious problems.  And you have no idea how tempting it is to call back and cancel your doctor’s appointments.

7 comments:

  1. Oh do it! Cancel them! I can't imagine being so self absorbed that you would play voicemails over speakerphone...in a CUBICLE! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may end up canceling a few before it's all over. A lot of people don't seem to understand the need to adapt their behavior to be appropriate for a cubicle setting.

      Delete
  2. I put speaker phones right up there with Nextels. I swear when Nextel came out, everyone had one, and that fucking little chirp sound was everywhere. And everyone got off on having discussions in front of everyone else. It's also a fucking phone, dial the god damned number you asshole.

    Reminds me of car horns... You should need a separate license to be allowed to use a car horn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Nextels. I must have been repressing. Those were truly evil contraptions.

      Delete
  3. I play my speaker phone only occasionally but mainly use it as a normal phone. I agree it can be annoying.

    Thank you for your lovely comment, much appreciated.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by The Modest Peacock the other day! What city do you do all of this magical Angry Admin-ing in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm. We seem to have petered out on the Angry Administration. Too bad. I was enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete