Thursday, July 5, 2012

It’s Called a Key/Pass Card/Badge


Secure workspaces aren’t anything new.  I’ve never been employed in a professional (I use that term very loosely in this context) setting that didn’t have some sort of secure access for employees.  On your first day they always give you these handy little devices that allow you to get in.  They’re usually called something like keys, pass cards, or badges.  There may be other names for them, but hopefully you get m y point; which is that they’re a handy little device of your very own that lets you into the work area.  Amazing, huh?

These handy little devices are usually incredibly simple to use; you insert them into a hole and turn them, slide them in and out of a little slot, or wave them in front of a little scanning device, and the door magically unlocks itself.  It doesn’t sound too complicated, right?  Wrong!

Apparently carrying and using these handy little devices on a daily basis is on the same difficulty level as curing cancer and obtaining world peace.  It simply cannot be done by everyone.  No, it seems that many people (the rate seems to go up with position and even more so with perceived position and importance) find it nearly impossible.  So I say again, it’s called a key/pass card, badge, USE IT to let yourself into the work area instead of constantly harassing the front desk personnel to “buzz you back”, which entails stopping what they’re doing to contort themselves into some unnatural position to reach the buzzer that was probably placed there by an imbecile just like you!  

9 comments:

  1. Awesome - at my job it's the break room - people leave their badge at the desk and run for some water or something - then have to be let back out onto the floor. Not a huge thing, but annoying for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really annoying the first 999 times or so, but after that it really starts to be. And I swear you have to be some kind of contortionist to reach the buzzer in my office.

      Delete
  2. I've never had to deal with anything like those except to get into hotel rooms. My work was pretty wide open so that anyone could just walk in. Sometimes I had to lock the door so they couldn't.

    For more information about hosting guests on your blog see the post I did on Stephen Tremp's blog:
    Hosting Guest Bloggers.
    You'll probably have better luck in getting guests once you have more followers and more potential readership. If you do get a guest you need to promote the heck out of it if you don't have a lot of readers. Regular commenters and fans are an excellent source to start with on your first guest post. Also, non-bloggers who can write well and would like to see their name "in print". Many of my first guests were friends who didn't have blogs but were willing to help me by writing about something.


    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wide open work space could be pretty bad too.

      I read your post on hosting guest bloggers. It was very informative; thank you for sharing the link. It seems like I have a ways to go before I can host guest bloggers, but I now I have some goals.

      I missed the A to Z this year, but found it while perusing Blogger, so I'm currently trying to visit the blogs on the list. I'm enjoying it. Is it going to happen in 2013?

      Delete
    2. A to Z April Challenge has become such a blogging force that I don't think there's much that could stop it from happening in 2013.
      Keep on visiting, commenting on, and following other blogs and your following should grow sizeably.


      Lee
      Tossing It Out

      Delete
  3. Though I don't have to deal with anything like that I did enjoy reading your great post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, I've worked in places like that before! Fortunately, I work in a small firm now where almost (almost) everyone is a little less of an imbecile :) New follower here!

    ReplyDelete